#3 I came to the US to say "Thank you" to Star Wars fans



Did Star Wars change your life? Star Wars helped me recover from 12-year- long depression.


I was diagnosed with depression when I was 28 years old. Twelve years after, Star Wars helped me recover. How could a movie cure a disease? 

Although overwork triggered my breakdown, I did not give up working because I loved it. However, my family expected me to stop working saying that they were caring about my health. But I felt that they only wanted me to follow the social practice in Japan; women should stay home.

I tried to mold myself to meet their expectations, only to find that my feelings always betrayed my efforts. I blamed myself for being selfish. It culminated in a doctor prescribing me antidepressants. 

I was 38 when I first saw Star Wars. Star Wars taught me that I was allowed to follow my heart. I started with asking small questions to myself, and allowed myself to be very honest. “What do I want to eat for dinner? -- Forget about the leftovers in the frige.” Gradually, the questions became bigger; “Do I want to live with my family?” “Where do I want to go?” “What do I want to feel?”





I realized that this film was describing something similar to Buddhist Zen; I myself was the cause of the disease. The expectations were not forced on me by family or society. It was me who chose to meet their expectations. 

When I turned 40, the doctor declared that I was no longer sick. 

I came to the US to say “Thank you” to those who brought Star Wars to me. It includes not only the people involved in Star Wars as business but also the people who have been fans for forty years.
That is why I am organizing this storytelling event for the Star Wars Celebration.

Email me, and share your story with us in Chicago.
My email address is:
howdidstarwarschangeyourlife[AT]outlook.jp

Previous Article:#2 Tell your story at Celebration in 6 minutes 40 seconds. "How Star Wars changed my life"
Next Article: #4 Use the Force. An official book about how the Force works.

Follow us on facebook: Star Wars Celebration How did Star Wars change your life?
(So you will receive blog update notification.)


(Sorry that I did not write about the Force book. I wanted to share my story first. Let me write about the book in the next article.)






Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments